Pages

Friday, May 3, 2013

bloodwork for rhiannon.

Do you remember when I said I feel like we spend all our time at the hospital, ER, or doctor's office?  Well, it still continues to be true.  Today I went in for a CT scan.  In July 2011 I was diagnosed with migraines, but the preventatives I was given never seemed to help.  When I do get a headache, we still haven't found something that will help take the pain away.  Travis and Haley have both gotten used to me coming home, flopping into bed because I can't hardly think, and falling asleep with ice packs on my head in an effort to get some relief.

I kept putting off and putting off going to the doctor, for several reasons, really.  I didn't like the doctor I was seeing in Broken Arrow.  He would never go a scan and didn't really offer any other advice except to keep increasing my dosage of the preventative -- I got to where I was taking it six times a day with no results.  Then we were going through the ConocoPhillips/Phillips 66 split, I was busy working a lot of hours to help clone our systems and get everything online in time.  Then I was adjusting to a new team, a new company, a new boss.  Then planning a wedding.  Then everything else that has happened in the past six months since our wedding.

Things have slowed a little {or maybe all the craziness is just my new normal, and I've learned how to cope with it}; and I decided that I shouldn't wait any longer to get into the doctor.  I started seeing the doctor at the clinic on-site at work.  He tried a pain medicine, but didn't really have a preventative solution.  When I went in for a checkup and let him know I was still getting headaches and that the pain medicine wasn't really working, he suggested we get the CT scan. 



So today Travis and I found ourselves sitting at the Diagnostic Center in Bartlesville.  They started an IV so they could take scans with and without dye.  Being the "scans" pro these days, Travis texted me while I was back waiting to be scanned and asked if I peed myself.  What??? I asked if he was joking and he said, "no, the dye makes you feel like you peed yourself; you get very warm." Excellent.

Was that too much information?  Probably.  I live with Travis and two teenage girls these days.  My filter is a little broken.

My scan was pretty eventful {given that I was able to control my bladder}, and once I was on the CT bed, everything went pretty quickly.  I did have flashbacks to my childhood when the doctors were trying to diagnose my cancer and determine what all parts of my body might have been affected.

The visit was taking a little longer than it should have, so the tech wanted to go out and let Travis know that everything was going well so he wouldn't worry.  The exact opposite happened.   Poor Travis.  The guy walked up to him very quietly and said, "I need to talk to you. I don't want you to worry." In the brief pause following "worry," Travis immediately thought the worst.  "WTH ... we just came in for a CT!!!"  Before he could freak out outwardly, the tech finished his sentence "we're just running a little behind." 

UPDATE:  We got the results of my scan back and everything is in the clear there ... so my doctor has decided to refer me to a neurologist.  Their office couldn't get me in immediately, but I have an appointment in late July.  Stay tuned for more as soon as I know more.

0 comments: