Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

haley's spring break: part 1.

Haley’s spring break was this past week.  Travis and I been hoping to take some time off earlier in the week, but we weren’t able to do so.  On Thursday night I started looking up deals on Expedia for Dallas, Branson, and Oklahoma City. 

Friday rolled around, and we still didn’t have a place to go.  Haley still hadn’t met Sue yet, and since the Grimes family is pretty special to us, we decided on a road trip to Oklahoma City.

We considered staying with Sue and Jim, but wanted to make it feel more like a vacation for Haley, so I hit up Expedia again.  I found a deal for a the Skirvin Hotel, a historic hotel in downtown OKC.  Haley has never been a zoo and we thought that would be a fun activity, too.

We packed suitcases and headed to the Skirvin.  They had a gorgeous pool table posted in their pictures online, so I was looking forward to that for Travis. The hotel has been around since 1911 and rumors are that it is haunted.  Haley couldn't wait to see a ghost.
 


{image not mine: found online by marshall matlock



When we got to OKC, it was a little chilly.  We decided to hit up the outlet mall because none of us had been there since it opened.  Turns out it was chillier than we thought.  We were popsicles walking from store to store.  Occasionally we would pop into a store that we weren’t all that interested in just so we could warm up!

One of the first stores was Michaels Kors.  Swoon.  I love my Michael Kors bags.  Haley had sticker shock when we first walked in, but by the time we were leaving the outlet, she was a believer.  There was a gorgeous emerald bag she kept talking about. 
 
After the mall we decided to head over to a Chinese buffet that Travis just loves.  Every few months Travis brings up this Chinese restaurant.  They used to have all you can eat crab legs and the best buffet food (is there such a thing).  We hit up the buffet and got our bellies full – we’re not sure it was the buffet Travis always raves about, though

After dinner we drove around looking for a Target.  When we checked into the hotel, it turned out there was no pool table, but they did have an indoor pool and hot tub.  Unfortunately none of us had brought a swimming suit.  Luckily we were all able to find something. 

We headed back to the hotel room, changed into our suits and headed down to the basement pool.  Turns out the water was FREEZING.  We kept saying, ‘we’ll adjust, we’ll adjust.”  We ddn’t adjust.  Pool little Haley’s lips were turning blue.  I gave up.  I couldn’t take it anymore.  I was counting down the minutes until the hot tub was available.  Finally the group occupying it hopped out and I practically ran to get in.  Haley decided to stick it out in the pool.  I’m still not sure how she did it.  She was huddled up n a ball, even in the water. 

I kept waving to her from the hot tub and trying to convince her to join Travis and me.  She is as blind as a bat without her glasses, though, so half the time she didn’t see me or thought I was just waiving when I was actually signaling for her to come over.  Travis and I got out of the hot tub and went over to the chairs near the pool to talk to her.  She stuck it out for a little longer and was finally ready to get out.

We headed up to the hotel and ordered room service dessert.  Haley and Travis got cake and I ordered crème brulee.  I have a weakness for crème brulee and I can usually turn down dessert.




We got our bellies full and were finally so full and tired we fell right to sleep. 

0 comments: