Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

birthday bash. literally.

this past weekend was a little crazy for everyone. as i mentioned in my last post february is a pretty busy month for us with lindsay's mom and my mom celebrating their birthdays, plus valentine's day. since patti's birthday was on a thursday, justin and lindsay decided to celebrate with her and their family on saturday. lindsay cleaned house, baked a cake, cooked dinner, and had her family to their house for the special occasion.

we were having a surprise tea party for my mom on sunday afternoon, so midmorning saturday i headed to the grocery store to purchase everything i would need to prepare the lunch. i had been working since the end of january on her pom decorations, banner, invitations, recipe cards, cupcake toppers and favor bags, and saturday was going to be my day to knock out the rest of the preparations.

i had travis's truck for the day because he had taken my rodeo to tom's garage to work on the damages from our accident in arkansas. while driving up 11th street in muskogee, i heard a crash behind me. i thought, "was i just hit again??" i then realized that i hadn't felt anything and that the crashing sound had not been in my car. just as i went to look in the rearview mirror for the sound of the crash, i was thrown forward. that time the sound was definitely in my car. and i definitely felt it. i said a choice word that i won't repeat here and then shouted, "are you kidding me??" i had just been rear-ended again. this time in travis's truck.

i seemed to be fine, but my adrenaline was rushing, and i was visibly shaking. i could hardly operate my phone. the car that hit me was a maroon honda and the driver was an elderly woman. the car that hit her was a tan malibu and the driver was a twenty-something girl named sally. sally stepped out of her car and immediately began asking if everyone was okay. the driver in the middle car wasn't very nice, and sally kept saying, "i'm so sorry ma'am. it was all my fault. i'm so sorry." i felt bad for her because the other lady kept yelling at her. the woman in the middle car tried to call the police, but like me couldn't operate her phone. she asked me to call 911 so i pulled it together and after a few shots got my phone to actually dial. each of the cars were pretty beat up. sally's car hood was all crunched up and fluids and steam were going everywhere. it took the police a few minutes to get there and in the meantime i called travis. since he was working on the car, however, he didn't hear any of my calls or my text message letting him know i had been in another wreck. i reached him on tom's phone and at first he thought i was playing a really cruel joke, but knew by the sound of my voice that wasn't the case. i hung up with travis and called my dad. he came to the scene and offered moral support while i got sally's contact and insurance information.

the ambulance arrived and asked if everyone was okay. sally was complaining of arm pain, and the woman in the middle car just kept saying she was really shook up. i told them my lower back was beginning to hurt but that i would be fine. the paramedics asked me if i was sure and told me they would be happy to take me in. i decided that since it was hurting it would be best to go in ... until they completely immobilized me, strapped me down on the stretcher, and placed my neck in a halo. i just felt silly since i wasn't bleeding or knocked unconscious.

they placed me in the ambulance and my dad decided to go get my mom and meet me at the hospital. i asked for my phone out of my bag, but he wasn't able to find it. he handed me his instead. once in the ambulance i received a couple of phone calls, but could never hear the caller. apparently my dad's earpiece is broken and only works on speaker phone. seriously? i had no way to call travis and i tried to text him, but that was impossible since i was unable to move my neck or raise my arms past my chest. so i just had to wait. it's really ridiculous how helpless and cut off i felt not having a phone for the ten minute drive to the hospital.

they got me to the er and a the nurse got all of my information. the next thing i knew dee was standing by my bed. i had no idea how she knew i was there but was grateful to see her. it took quite a bit later but finally my mom arrived. by this time the doctor had at least checked me out and take me off of the stretcher. my left side lower back was really hurting and that leg kept going numb.

my mom gave me my phone and said that it had been in my bag. my dad had told her he couldn't find it and she pulled it right out. he had no idea it was a phone. he was looking for something more like his flip phone.

i was at the er for several hours before they took me up for xrays. they drew blood. ugh. i. hate. needles. and i thought i was going to pass out while she was drawing it, even though i couldn't see anything. then a little later they came and gave me a shot for pain. that hurt, too! by that time travis had arrived and was upset i hadn't let him know i was going to the hospital. when i talked to him on tom's phone i had told him everything was okay. then he talked to sierra {she accidently dialed him when they were trying to use my phone} and found out i was at the hospital. at the time i talked to him i didn't know i was going to the er. when i found out he was on his way i told him not to come, but he was already on his way down.

travis's dad even came to the hospital while i was there. i couldn't believe it. steve never leaves the house except to go to work. i felt pretty special.

the xrays didn't seem to show anything broken and the doctor released me saying that the radiologist would follow up with me if they found something on the xray that the doctor hadn't seen.

i was discharged and we all headed to the lears. dee gave us our valentine gifts {and even had one for connor}. my mom stayed for a few minutes and then went back to the pool hall. travis and i didn't stay long either. i was pretty tired and knew i still had all of the cooking and baking to do for my mom's party, plus the trip to the grocery store that had been interrupted. lindsay and justin had offered to help, but i knew they were still busy with lindsay's mom's birthday dinner, so i had declined. they said they would help with the cake balls and brownie balls, so i was grateful for that.

travis and i got to the house, and both decided to take a nap. i slept for a couple of hours and then slowly got up and headed to the store. i couldn't feel a lot since they had given me the shot for pain, so i figured it was the perfect time to go. it took me several hours to get everything i needed since i had to move pretty slow, and i didn't get to justin and lindsay's until after nine. when i got there, lindsay and i got straight to work making the cupcakes, cake balls, brownie balls, and mixing up the toppings and salads for the sandwiches. she cut the bread into cut shapes using the cookie cutters i had found at walmart and i cut vegetables for salads and other dishes we would put together in the morning. we worked until almost two. we were both about to fall asleep so we cleaned up the kitchen, organized everything for the next morning and i headed home.

i still had to finish up the cupcake toppers and a few things on the banner ... so i didn't find myself in bed until almost 4:00 in the morning. i cranked the heating pad to high and went right to sleep. at 8:00 that morning i was up again. i threw on my sweats and a hoodie and headed out into the {beautiful} snowfall. i had to stop at homeland to grab a few items that we had ran out of the night before and then got to justin & lindsay's. the house was completely dark when i got there and i didn't want to wake them if i didn't have to. i made sure the dogs were in the backyard, and then headed in through the garage door. i got right to work. about a half hour later lindsay joined me. i was afraid i had woken her, but she said it was no problem. she jumped in the shower then set off to help me. justin came in not too long after and the three of us worked like busy little bees. there were still a few things to be done at 11:54, but i knew her church service would be letting out soon and i was still in my sweats. i also had to pick travis up and grab the dishes from the house that i was planning to use. i had tried to grab them that morning but my mom woke up earlier than usual, so i just had to leave the house.

travis began gathering several of the items i needed. i ran in the house, rinsed my hair at the bathtub, rushed to dry it and throw on some clothes that looked halfway presentable and then helped him finish grabbing everything we needed. sierra began texting to let me know they were out of church and i asked her to stall as much as possible. we got back to the house at about 12:15 and all of the guests had arrived. we quickly unloaded my basket, lindsay arranged the tulips, and then the birthday girl pulled into the driveway. whew. we finished everything just in the nick of time. i would have liked for it to be completely finished before the guests arrived, but it was the few finishing touches {pouring the tea & lemonade into tea pots and pitchers, etc} so it was pretty much all ready before they got there.

my mom was actually surprised {yay!} and everyone loved the food. i was so nervous since some of the tea sandwiches sound a little weird. the event actually took up most of the afternoon and it wasn't until almost 5:30 that we found ourselves all packed up and back at home.

it was such a fun time, in spite of all the craziness, and i'm glad we got to celebrate the wonderful woman i am lucky enough to call Mom.

0 comments: