Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

preparing to ring in the new year.

after kettlebells yesterday morning, i started running errands for the new years eve party at our house.  i had wanted to prepare in advance ... but ... well, i just don't really work that way.  the problem was that i couldn't come up with the menu.  travis wanted to do laid back and fancy-free.  he was thinking wings from main street tavern and a platter of nuggets from chick-fil-a ... so i had to come up with a menu that complemented that.

my first stop was marshall's.  vit and i were in there the other night and i saw several apothecary jars i liked.  i never buy stuff like that, though.  i'm re-doing a little nook in the bathroom {i should actually say "doing" because i've never decorated our bathroom}, and i just kept thinking that one of the jars would be the perfect addition to what i already have ... so i stopped by there first.

i ran into mattie {from kate's christmas party & my fb friend} and i looked a hot mess.  i was still in my workout gear with frizzy hair and a sweaty face.  ick.  i was also looking for champagne glasses while i was there {with no luck}.  it was supposed to be a quick trip.  in and out.  and i'm not the spender in our family.  i had to talk myself into going back to the store to buy a $12 jar for heavens sake. 

and then it happened.  something beckoned me to the bags.  and what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a lovely michael kors bag, my favorite, my dears.  i looked down and it was suddenly on my arm.  how did that happen?  i couldn't deny it a new home.  it was asking so kindly to come along with me.  and at 30% of the original price, how could i say no?

isn't she lovely?


shaking from the cold {and my new purchase}, i tried to put it out of my mind and headed into target.  i was able to get champagne glasses for the midnight toast.  a chai latte was sounding really good since i was only wearing a little running jacket and clothes that i had been sweating in for an hour {tmi? gross, i know}. the line at the target starbucks was super long {guess everyone had the same idea as me}, so i hopped back in travis's truck and headed toward party central.

while i was in target, i had called in catering orders with main street tavern and with chick-fil-a.  my cfa order was supposed to be ready by 4:30 and it was a little before 4:00.  that would give me enough time to get to party central.  on the way, i passed a starbucks.  i had a gift card begging to be used, so i pulled in.

i was on my way before i knew it with a chai latte warming me from my head to my toes.

party central had quite a few things to choose from, but i ended up grabbing a fun little box for 10 people (hats, tiaras, horns, and leis) for $10, some fun hanging gold and silver dot garland, and a few packages of balloons.

next stop, chick-fil-a.  i pulled through the drive-thru and then i was on my way to the grocery store.  i was still feeling a little guilty about each of my purchases {i told you, i'm not the spender}.  groceries can add up pretty quickly, so i decided to try my luck with aldi.  i've been before, but it's kind of like ross, and it stresses me out.  i also never know what i'll find there.  i was in luck.  i got a whole bundle of groceries {everything i needed except for pancetta} for $16!  i couldn't believe it.

i had asked travis to pick up champagne and peppermint schnapps on the way home from work ... and he ended up beating me home.  i got home after 6:00 and everyone was supposed to start arriving around 7:00.

when i got home i realized i didn't have pancetta, so kate picked it up for me.  then i realized i didn't have icing, so travis made a quick stop for me when he ran to pick up the wings from the tavern.

when nick and kate got home, gia had attacked the cookie jar on the dining room table, and had eaten 5 chocolate covered spice cakes ... so they were going to be a little later.  and amanda and zach couldn't make it until 8:00 because he had to work.  the delays worked in my favor and i was able to get a lot of things started before hopping in the shower at 7:00.  

0 comments: