Pages

Sunday, April 21, 2013

apple kale muffins.

Right now kale is really popular, but I've never really eaten it.  Since we've been making smoothies and juices for Travis, kale is a frequent ingredient as part of the base, especially for green smoothies.  I bought a large bunch of it ... but then found that I didn't really know what to do with it.  It didn't go through our juicer very well, and when I put it in the blender, I couldn't get it smooth enough for either of us.  I like lots of other green smoothies, but I just can't get past the kale texture.

I started looking into other ways to use kale.  I made kale chips last night.  They were pretty good, but definitely not my favorite thing under the sun.  I thought I really liked them as soon as they were finished, but after a few I wasn't a big fan.  I stored them in a Rubbermaid container overnight and they were soggy today.  Ick.  No thanks.

I had seen these apple kale muffins by Lemon Stripes on Pinterest.  They looked really yummy so I decided to give them a whirl.

They made the house smell delicious while they were baking {and even though you're not supposed to, I couldn't help but sample the batter a few times while mixing them up}.


Don't let look delish?  They had moist chunks of apple in them and wonderful spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. I would definitely make these again, but will need to find other kale recipes that I like because it really didn't take much kale to make the muffins, and it always seems to come in such large bunches.

Do you have any kale recipes you love?


0 comments: